Sunday, March 30, 2014

Why I Would Never Use Inhalants

 

When I was younger, my mother always warned me about the effects of inhalants. She grew up in a very different era where it was common to know people who sniffed glue. At the time I thought she was a bit crazy, but later on I understood exactly why she was so frightened.

In high school there was a group of kids people picked on and labeled outcasts. While I wasn't in this group at all, I felt bad since I could identify with most of them. As a result, I started to befriend a few. They told me about whippets and how you could get a great high from inhaling the contents of a whipped cream can.

Most kids would hear "whipped cream" and think that this was some type of joke, but I was a bit smarter than that. I went home and talked to my mom about this. She told me that doing whippets has the same effect as using several other inhalants, which means that I was correct in thinking this could be very dangerous.

When I went back to school the following day, I told my new friends that what they were doing can kill them. I was told that I am being overly dramatic and that my mom only told me that information to scare me. I refused to try it and they stopped talking to me soon after.

A few years later I heard a news story about a guy that fell asleep on a couch with a cigarette in his hand and he burned to death. He was high on inhalants and could not respond as normal. It was one of my "friends" from school. After that, I swore I would never try anything that would impair my mood and possibly place me in danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment