Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Trying To Resist The Pull Of Alcohol

 

I am from one of those families where alcohol is an everyday event. From the time we reached adulthood, we were expected to drink wine and have fun with the rest of the family. This may not have been a problem for most of my relatives, but it most certainly caused some problems for me. During college I started to drink more and more. In fact, it was difficult for me to function unless I had some alcohol in my system. I attended many of my classes drunk and I am surprised that I managed to graduate. It seems like things went downhill from there. Working for a major pharmaceutical company put lots of pressure on me, which only gave me more reasons to drink. I got married and had two children within five years of completing college and the pressure was far too much for me. I realized I had totally hit rock bottom when a friend of mine pulled me to the side and chastised me for drinking at her son's First Communion. At this time, I realized that my life had spiraled out of control and I needed to regain my footing. I started going to AA meetings and talking about my issues with others who could relate. It has been three years since I have had a drink and it is very hard not to go back to that. As I said before, my family is very much into alcohol, so some of them insist on offering me drinks, despite my resistance. This is a very long road I am on and I know that it may not ever get any easier. I am determined to fight the urges. I have a beautiful family and a great job and drinking like a fish will only put that in jeopardy.

No comments:

Post a Comment